1. Elephants hate the smell of Chilli, a fact that lead farmers in Africa to attach chillies to their fences in order to keep the nosy elephants away from their crops.
2. In early civilizations such as the Incas, Mayans and Aztecs Chilli Peppers were used as a currency.
3. Chilli pepper has been used as a weapon for 1,000’s of years. In ancient Japan powdered chilli peppers were thrown into the faces of criminals as punishment.
4. Mexicans eat an estimated 6 kilos of fresh Chillies and 0.5 kilos of dried Chillies each year. Which is more than the Onions and Tomatoes they eat, put together.
5. Aztec women believed that Chilli made your skin beautiful, and they would apply a paste to their skin made from chilli powder and urine.